Tips and Tricks for Planning a Bathroom Remodel
Kitchens and bathrooms are the top two places homeowners love to renovate and remodel. Each project consists of many details, but bathroom remodels are usually less expensive due to their smaller space and lack of major appliances. At 5th Generation Contracting we have decades of experience with every type of bathroom design and construction. Here are a few of our tips and tricks that we recommend to clients planning their own bathroom remodel.
You can find inspiration for your bathroom remodel everywhere! From online platforms( Pinterest, Houzz), remodeling blogs, contractor/designerportfolios, model home tours, and magazines, you have an endless array of photos, suggestions, and options to choose from.
Create a Detailed Plan
Evaluate your existing bathroom to decide what you’d like to keep and what you’d like to change. Are you moving walls, updating cabinets, or adding another sink? Make a list of individual projects, then group and prioritize them. Be sure to include:
- Fixtures: Toilets, tub, and showers are available in a variety of styles and colors.. You’ll also want to decide on the placement of these fixtures to determine the necessary plumbing.
- Vanities: Consider size, storage, material and your bathroom’s traffic route when choosing your vanity.
- Mirrors: Adding a mirror or two (or more!) to your bathroom will not only provide you with a reflection, but also make your space look bigger.
- Flooring: Flooringoptions are virtually endless. Natural stone, laminates—even properly sealed wood floors—can be used.
- Hardware: Hardware (knobs, handles, light fixtures, towel racks, and faucets) tends to look best when all the colors and finishes match.
- Electrical: Decide on how many outlets and light switches you would like and where they should be placed.
- Sealants: No detail is too small! Decide which color you would like the grout, caulk, and other sealants in your new bathroom.
Splurge on Your Centerpieces
Splurging on a few higher-end materials and finishes can add an elevated sense of luxury to your bathroom remodel. Even if you are planning on a budget remodel, these upgrades can be investments that provide not only a great ROI but also give your new space that “wow” factor. Since tubs and showers are the largest fixtures in most bathrooms, you may want to focus on giving these focal points a bit of special attention.
Don’t Leave the Lighting for Last!
Lighting is often overlooked and sometimes completely forgotten. Don’t simply replace your existing light fixtures with new fixtures, without considering if they are the best for your new space. A single ceiling fixture is barely adequate for visually inspecting yourself in the mirror each day. Incorporate a layered approach (task, accent, ambient and decorative) to your bathroom lighting to increase your new space’s functionality and design style.
Partner with 5th Generation Contracting
A bathroom remodeling project is full of details, options, decisions, andprocessesthat can be overwhelming to an unexperienced homeowner. That’s why you should partner with the experts at 5th Generation Contracting. From small scale makeovers to full bathroom remodels, 5th Generation Contracting can take the stress out of the entireprocess. Let us share our expertise, such as where to save and where to splurge, and help you prevent making costly mistakes. Contact us today to get started on your bathroom remodeling project.